Friday, October 15, 2010

If You "INVITE" Me You Pay, If You "INFORM" Me I Pay

I sometimes like to begin with definitions in an attempt to minimize or eliminate immature mind games, confusion and/or ASSumptions thus improving the chances of having a mature, intelligent and common sense discussion. If we are going to use words or expressions, let's be clear in the beginning, as to what it means.

Definition of Invite: A request (spoken or written) to be present or take part in something (Ex: "Hey, I am inviting you to come with me and see my friend perform tonight at the concert").

Definition of Inform: To give or provide (spoken or written) information to be present or take part in something (Ex: "Hey, I am letting you know that I am going to see my friend perform tonight at the concert").

I'm sure we are all familiar with the phrase, "Whoever Invite Should Pay", right? Well, my question is, "Should that be ONLY reserved for dating"? By the way, dating nowadays applies to opposite and same sex individuals.

Here's a broader question. Should whoever invite for anything pay? My reason for broadening the question is due to the numerous INVITES I receive to attend some sort of gathering or event. I would like to propose that IF YOU are going to INVITE someone as opposed to INFORM someone of a gathering or event then there should be NO COST REQUIRED to the invitee.

Here are a few examples:

- There is a sporting event (Basketball, Football, etc.) occurring and someone extends an INVITE to come out and enjoy at a place of business,

- Someone is having a personal event (anniversary celebration, birthday party, wedding afterparty, DIVORCE party) and extends an INVITE to come out and celebrate at a place of business,

- Someone is promoting a social event and extends an INVITE to come out and enjoy at a place of business.

Invite, Invite, Invite and did I mention that somewhere in that INVITE there is going to be an admission charge that YOU have to pay? Why shouldn't "Whoever Invite Pay" apply in this instance? Don't give me that, "It's different than dating" lame excuse because in most cases it's the same for most people. I've even heard of instances where the person that extended the invite was a no show so what's up with that? Should they be required to provide a refund IF you pay and enter the event based upon THEIR invite and they don't show?

My issue is not the cost because I believe in personal, financial responsibility unlike many others so I will pay if I want to attend an event IF that's a requirement. My issue is the INVITE and the ASSumption that "Whoever Invites Pays" (whether they show up or not) which IS NOT the case in these kind of social event situations.

I guess I've just gotten to the point of "Put Your Money Where Your Invite Is" or "Stop Communicating That You Are Inviting Someone and Just Inform Them". In my opinion, people usually do that because they are accustomed to behaving in that manner in their past and/or just don't know any better. Can people change their way of thinking? Sure they can. Will they? That is yet to be seen but I believe that most of them won't.

Hopefully this blog will encourage those that have misused or confused the intent of the words INVITE and INFORM to clarify and properly apply them when communicating to others. Am I going to hold my breath and wait for the CHANGE to occur with others? Of course not. I enjoy living too much to hold my breath and die for someone's refusal to apply common sense (lol).

As always, your comments are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment